Prep: 25 mins | Cook: 20 mins
1 cups self raising flour
1 cup wholemeal flour
80g butter melted
1 egg beaten
1 cup milk
1 onion sliced
1/2 tsp sugar
1 sachet french onion cup a soup
1/2 cup grated gruyere cheese
seasoning to taste
1.Preheat a cupcake maker or the oven to 200 degrees.
2. In a fry pan add a little oil and cook the onions until for 5 mins, sprinke over the sugar and mix well. Cook until the onions are soft and beginning to caramelise. Set aside to cool.
3. In a jug combine the butter, beaten egg and milk. Stir well to combine.
4. In a mixing well, sift the flour, add the soup powder, mix well, then make a well in the centre. Pour in the mixture from the jug. Add seasoning. Mix well.
5. Add the cooled onions and fold through to combine.
6. Place cupcake papers into the cupcake maker (6 per batch) or place papers onto a cupcake tray. Fill each paper 3/4 full. Close the cupcake maker lid or place in the oven and cook for 20 mins or when pierced with a skewer, the skewer comes out clean. Remove and set aside to cool on a wire rack. If using a cupcake maker, repeat again.
7. Once cooled these can be stored in an airtight container for 3 days or freeze straight away for later use.
french onion & gruyere dinner rolls
Cupcake size cute dinner rolls with caramelised onion, french onion soup powder and gruyere cheese. Perfect to make ahead and keep in the freezer. Lovely addition to a picnic, bbq or to serve with cheese.